- December 30, 2002 – Approval of draft defense procurement process
- August 28, 2007 – Ministry of Defense sends request proposal for 126 MMRCA (Medium Multirole Combat Aircraft)
- May 2011 – Air Force confirms two options for Rafale and Eurofighter jets
- January 30, 2012 – Dassault Aviation’s lowest bid for Rafale aircraft
- March 13, 2014 – Signing of an agreement between HAL and Dassault Aviation. The two share 70% and 30% of the work, as well as the production of 108 aircraft
- August 8, 2014 – As per the information given to Parliament by the then Defense Minister Arun Jaitley, an agreement will be reached to procure 18 aircraft capable of flying. 108 aircraft will be available in the next seven years
- April 8, 2015 – Foreign Secretary states that discussions are underway between Dassault, Ministry of Defense and HAL
- April 10, 2015 – France announces new agreement to purchase 36 Rafale aircraft capable of flying
- January 26, 2015 – India and France sign an agreement to purchase 36 Rafale aircraft.
- September 23, 2015 – Intergovernmental Agreement signed
- November 18, 2015 – The government announces in Parliament that the cost of a Rafale aircraft is Rs 670 crore. All aircraft will be available by April 2022
- December 31, 2016 – Dassault Aviation’s annual report states that the cost of 36 aircraft is Rs 60,000 crore. The price is more than double the price set by the government in Parliament
- March 13, 2018 – Petition filed in the Supreme Court seeking an impartial inquiry into the purchase of the Rafale aircraft
- September 5, 2018 – Supreme Court approves hearing on petition seeking stay of purchase of Rafale jet aircraft.
- September 18, 2018 – Supreme Court adjourns petition till October 10
- October 8, 2018 – Petition filed for hearing ordering the government to submit the details of the Rafale Agreement in a sealed envelope.
- October 10, 2018 – Supreme Court orders govt to submit Rafale jet procurement process in sealed agreement
- October 24, 2018 – Petition filed by former ministers Yashwant Sinha, Arun Shourie and Prashant Bhushan seeking an order to file a preliminary information report on the purchase of Rafale jets.
- November 12, 2018 – Procurement process from the Center submitted to the Supreme Court in a sealed envelope
- December 14, 2018 – The Supreme Court rejects the Modi government’s demand to order the CBI to file a preliminary information report as there is nothing to doubt about the Rafale aircraft procurement process.
- July 27, 2020 – First phase of Rafale flight from France to India
- July 29, 2020 – Rafale arrives in India